Thomas L. Gill
Attorney Thomas L. Gill is a shareholder in the North Bay Area law firm Favaro, Lavezzo, Gill, Caretti & Heppell, P.C., where he practices primarily in the areas of criminal defense and civil litigation.
Fellow lawyers and judges rank Mr. Gill at the highest level of professional excellence (A.V.) as reported by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings. In 2010, for the third year in a row, Mr. Gill was selected for inclusion to SuperLawyers magazine. Only five percent of the lawyers in Northern California receive this designation, which is based on peer recognition, professional achievement, and independent research.
Mr. Gill handles both criminal and civil litigation for the firm and is certified as a Criminal Law Specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He has handled over 100 jury trials, made over 6,000 court appearances on both civil and criminal matters, has taken over 25 homicide cases to trial, including death penalty cases, and has obtained recoveries for clients totaling in the millions of dollars.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- State Bar of California
- Solano County Bar Association
- Napa County Bar Association
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- McGlothlen v. DMV, 71 CA 3d 1005 (1977) - Constitutionality of S. B. 38
- Graham v. Municipal Court, 123 CA 3d 1018 (1981) - May an elected county supervisor defend criminal defendants in his home county?
- People v. Maestas, 204 CA 3d 1208 (1988) - Illegal police conduct and bad faith in search warrant context
- People v. Cruz, 209 CA 3d 560 (1989) - Leading case on reimbursement to county for cost of court-appointed counsel
- Neilsen v. Superior Court, 55 CA 4th 1150 (1997) - Discoverability of defendant's psychiatric records by a co-defendant in a capital case